Currently Viewing Posts Tagged 上海楼凤品茶网

Surgeon general: Marijuana during pregnancy and adolescence is dangerous

first_img [email protected] By Lev Facher Aug. 29, 2019 Reprints HealthSurgeon general: Marijuana during pregnancy and adolescence is dangerous  Tags government agenciesmarijuanapatientspublic health Related: Lev Facher Déjà vu all over again: Another year passes without approval of new suppliers of marijuana for research Related: WASHINGTON — The federal government on Thursday issued an advisory warning against marijuana use in teenagers and pregnant women, cautioning that the drug can impact brain development and is associated with future alcohol and opioid addiction.“No amount of marijuana use during pregnancy or adolescence is safe,” said Surgeon General Jerome Adams at a press conference.Pregnant women and young people, however, are growing more likely to use marijuana and are largely unfamiliar with the risks, said health secretary Alex Azar. Increased marijuana use has also been increasingly linked to “risks like anxiety, agitation, paranoia and psychosis,” the department said.advertisement I wanted to try medical marijuana. Why couldn’t my doctors help me? Adobe While the medical community is largely uniform in its view that marijuana use by pregnant women or adolescents carries associated risks, the announcement comes amid a murkier landscape on marijuana and its components.The Food and Drug Administration this year has worked to better regulate supplements containing CBD, a non-psychoactive compound within marijuana. The agency also approved a CBD-based drug last year as a treatment for seizures.Thirty-three states and the District of Columbia have legalized marijuana for medicinal use, and 11 states have legalized its use recreationally, despite the administration’s opposition.“There is no approved, safe, or effective use of marijuana to treat any medical condition,” said Dr. Brett Giroir, the assistant secretary for health.Azar, however, acknowledged the need for additional marijuana research, including into potential benefits. Earlier this week, the Drug Enforcement Administration announced it would move toward allowing more manufacturers to grow marijuana for research purposes — long a point of contention between some law enforcement and public health circles. The Public Health Service also announced Thursday that it would use a recent $100,000 donation from President Trump, who donates his salary each quarter, to fund a digital ad campaign to build awareness for the advisory.Adams’ announcement is the latest in a string of high-profile public health advisories. In December, he warned against “the epidemic of youth e-cigarette use.” In 2017, Adams encouraged everyday Americans to carry naloxone, a drug that can reverse opioid overdose, amid a wave of drug deaths.It also echoes a surgeon general’s advisory from 1982, when Dr. C. Everett Coop warned against marijuana use for reasons that included its impact on prenatal development. Washington Correspondent Lev Facher covers the politics of health and life sciences. About the Author Reprints @levfacher Increasingly potent marijuana plants — and new delivery forms like edibles and waxes or liquids that can be consumed using vape products — mean that marijuana use results in more exposure to THC, its psychoactive compound, than ever, officials said.“As I like to say, this ain’t your mother’s marijuana,” Adams said at a press conference.advertisementlast_img read more

BCJ Digital Media Presentation Deemed a Success

first_imgRelatedPrime Minister Welcomes Investments Downtown RelatedPublic Servants Agree to Wage Restraint Advertisements BCJ Digital Media Presentation Deemed a Success Office of the Prime MinisterMarch 26, 2013center_img FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The Broadcasting Commission of Jamaica’s (BCJ) recent digital media literacy presentation at Mona High School, St. Andrew, has been hailed as a major success by several students who participated.Representatives of the Commission, led by Executive Director, Cordel Green, delivered wide ranging presentations on several topics during sessions held with Grade 10 and 11 students and their teachers.These included: the impending digital switchover process; cable channel ratings and the children’s code for programming.Two of the students indicating the benefits they derived are Cedric Moodie, whose stage name is ‘Militant’, and Iokoyi Ellis, both budding deejays, who are keen on pursuing careers in the entertainment industry. At the end of the presentations, Cedric, who performed one of his songs for the Executive Director, told JIS that he was appreciative of the information, which has greatly enlightened him.“It was a great presentation because it taught me a lot that I didn’t know about. I want to be a musician, so it has given me more knowledge about the music world,” Cedric said, while contending that every student should be afforded the opportunity to learn more about the digital media landscape, as well as the role of the Commission. Cedric advised that, to date, he has recorded two songs. One, he said, is titled: “Guidance”, which he said currently enjoys a fair amount of airplay on local radio stations and overseas.“I have a song playing on Hitz 92 FM and it is also playing in England and the USA,” he revealed.The Grade 10 student, who comes from a musical family, said he has been singing since age nine, and decided that he wanted to do music compositions when he entered high school, citing this as “my passion, and my heart and soul”.“I do a lot of thinking and writing. For me, I have to put all my thinking into my music. I don’t write just for the sake of writing. I have to think about it first and see what connects and what makes sense,” he reasoned.Iokoyi Ellis, whose stage name is ‘Yokie’, said her father, who is now deceased, was instrumental in her decision to take up singing as a career, noting that he would always sing with her. For that reason, singing became a regular activity for Iokoyi after her father’s passing, when she was eight years old. Noting that she sings every day, Iokoyi intimated: “that’s the first thing that I do; in the bathroom I sing. I would be singing and then take a pen and paper and just start writing. It just comes naturally.”“I took to singing more because I wanted to make my father proud and because I have a good voice,” she proudly declared.Iokoyi currently uses the YouTube social media channel to market her song: “Broken Heart and Soul”, written after her father’s passing. Despite the sad memories the song conjures, Iokoyi is excited about the response the single has been receiving from persons on the social network.“Since January it has gone over 1,000 hits and that is very, very good. I am so thrilled about that and a lot of people know me. It is very very nice,” she said.Iokoyi said, in the future, she wants to study music at university. However, for now she will continue to study hard in order to obtain high grades in Religious Education, Home Management, Mathematics and English, the subjects she plans to sit in the upcoming Caribbean Secondary Examination Council (CSEC) examination.By E. Hartman Reckord, JIS Reporter RelatedCommittee to Monitor all Government Projectslast_img read more

Committee Leaning Toward Joint Control of ‘Planning Doughnut’

first_img Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup. Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox. WHITEFISH – After discussing several options for how to best solve the “planning doughnut” controversy, an ad-hoc committee is zeroing in on a plan that would require approval from both the city and county to enact legislation in the extraterritorial jurisdiction surrounding Whitefish. The proposal, as currently written, has met some resistance, but committee members are formulating suggested improvements, which will be distributed via the city’s e-mail list and on the city’s website. Then the committee is tentatively scheduled to meet on Sept. 14 at 5:30 p.m. at Whitefish Middle School’s board meeting room. Bill Kahle, a committee member and Whitefish city councilor, acknowledged at an Aug. 31 meeting at City Hall that there is room for improvement in the current proposal, but said it’s a step in the right direction. Kahle said it’s important to make progress while a lawsuit filed by the city against the county over the interlocal agreement is pending.“We’re trying to put out a fire,” Kahle said, adding, “the solution won’t be perfect right now but it will allow us to take the next step.”Sean Frampton, an attorney representing a third-party intervener in the lawsuit between the city and county, expressed skepticism over the plan. Meanwhile, a group of residents is promoting its own alternative plan for a community council, similar to those found in Lakeside and Bigfork. Marilyn Nelson presented a draft of the community council concept at the Aug. 31 meeting. Nelson said an informal group of residents had put the draft together. The city council was scheduled to discuss the proposal at its Sept. 7 meeting.“This is a very grassroots effort,” Nelson told the committee, adding that she planned to gather more signatures and public input.At the meeting, the committee discussed a proposed amendment to the interlocal agreement between the city and county. The amendment was the result of meetings between Whitefish City Attorney Mary VanBuskirk, Frampton and Alan McCormick, who is representing the county.The committee, which consists of both city and county representatives, has been meeting since March to find a way to give residents in the “doughnut” area proper representation and governance without requiring litigation.Conversation largely revolved around the amendment’s three options for “new legislation enactments.” There was a general leaning toward Option A, which states that any new zoning or land-use planning legislation implemented by the city must be approved by the Flathead County Commission before it becomes effective within the doughnut.Under Option A, if county commissioners withhold consent they have 10 days to provide the Whitefish City Council with a written explanation and the legislation won’t be enacted. If the commissioners fail to conduct a hearing within 30 days after receiving notification from the city, consent will be inferred.Option B keeps voting power in the hands of Whitefish for new land-use legislation, but requires the city to gather input from the county before making its decision. Option C deletes the entire section for “new legislation enactments.”While Diane Smith and Lyle Phillips promoted Option A, there was some support for Option C on the city’s side. But City Manager Chuck Stearns conceded there were inherent difficulties with Option C and added, “I could live with A.” “I would probably favor C, but I’m not naïve enough to think that satisfies all of the problems,” Stearns said.Nobody spoke in favor of B, with Kahle calling it a “watered-down” version of A.“Everything is gravitating toward Option A,” Kahle added. Frampton, who was in the small audience, said that “A is the only option” for his clients, though he argued it still fell short. In addition to requirements for new legislation, Frampton said existing legislation – put in place since the interlocal agreement was signed in 2005 – must be addressed.Frampton filed for, and was granted, third-party status in the lawsuit between Whitefish and the county to raise additional points in the litigation. He has been involved in discussions since the committee began meeting. “We don’t think the agreement was valid to begin with,” Frampton said. “So how can regulations be valid that weren’t lawfully applied in the doughnut to begin with?” He added, in reference to laws enacted in the doughnut since 2005: “I think everything has to be reviewed.”There was concern over how long it would take to review and possibly change existing legislation, with Smith wondering if there’s a way to do it speedily. But Nelson said it’s improper to assume that all legislation enacted in the doughnut since 2005 is unlawful until a court rules that way.Larry Campbell stood up and identified himself as “doughnut man.” Campbell, who has attended doughnut-related meetings for years, repeated his long-held belief that the best option would be a vote of residents in the area. Ask them, Campbell said, which side they want to represent them.“That’s the American way,” he said.But Campbell softened his tone and showed appreciation for the amended interlocal agreement.“I think it’s a good start anyway,” he said, “but I think it needs some tweaking.” Emaillast_img read more

Terex duo keeps broadcaster ‘on air’

first_img“The task of lifting the satellite was made comparatively simple because of the planning that went into the job,” says Tim Metcalf, director of Metcalf Crane Services, who owns and operates Terex crane equipment. “The satellite system was designed by RG Systems, and because of the parameters of the project, the building manager at Nine Network recommended RG Systems have us do the installation.” To install the 15 m diameter dish on the roof, the satellite actually needed to be lifted 80 m up and over the building. Metcalf’s 6-person crew relied on a combination of two Terex cranes, an AT-20 pick-and-carry crane and an AC 350 all-terrain crane, to lift the dish from the truck bed and into position on the building’s rooftop in just four hours. “This project faced some unique challenges, including traffic management restrictions,” recalls Metcalf. “Because Bourke Street and Aurora Lane had to be closed down during the installation, we had to gain approval from the Melbourne City Council, and the entire project had to be completed in a 14-hour shift, including mobilisation and demobilisation.” High winds and the all-glass design and structure of the new studios, further complicated the delicate lift. “My crane operators had to closely monitor the anemometer to confirm the wind speeds and make adjustments accordingly,” mentions Metcalf. With the new satellite in place, the GTV-9 studios are now equipped to handle day-to-day operations, including the news and commercial sales, as well as to record larger scale studio productions. Cranes Involved After evaluating the parameters of the project, Metcalf chose a Terex® AT-20 pick and carry crane and a Terex® AC 350 all-terrain crane for the lift. “This project required specialised equipment, and these Terex cranes were ideal because of their exceptional lift radius and height capabilities,” says Metcalf. The AT-20 was used early in the lift. This Terex pick and carry crane lives up to its name – it has the strength to pick heavy loads, like large capacity satellite dishes, and the manoeuvrability to operate in tight spaces, including in and around existing infrastructures like the new GTV-9 office building. The AT-20 offered Metcalf’s crew powerful performance and high productivity with 40 degrees articulation each side of centre which provides a total of 80 degrees of slewing arc. This unit’s exclusive park brake attachment allows operators to slew the crane through 80 degrees while it is stationary and the single wheel parking brake is activated. Metcalf’s crew primarily used the AC 350 in the satellite dish installation lift. The entire Terex all-terrain crane line is designed for excellent mobility and versatility on any project, and the AC 350 lived up to that reputation. The variable steering with rear-axle steering offered Metcalf’s operator excellent manoeuvrability for fast positioning around the GTV-9 building. With a total length of only 16.7 m (54.8 ft), the AC 350 is the smallest, most compact 6-axle mobile crane in the 350-tonne class, says Terex. For the precision placement of components on tall structures, the power and lift capacity of the AC350 had the job well covered. The AC 350 features a state-of-the-art automatic transmission with 16 forward and two reverse gears. For this job the configured boom system gives the AC 350 a lifting height of 51.9 m (170.3 ft) from the main boom at 82 degrees. Equipped with a patented 61 m (200.1 ft) luffing fly jib, Metcalf’s AC 350 can achieve 115.9 m (380.2 ft) of lifting height.last_img read more

Kenya to withdraw its troops from South Sudan

first_imgKenya says its will withdraw its troops from the U.N. peacekeeping mission in South Sudan.This is after the United Nations sacked a Kenyan who led the force. A UN inquiry accuses Lieutenant General Johnson Mogoa Kimani Ondieki of not responding to an attack on a hotel in the South Sudanese capital Juba in July.  The inquiry also found that during the assault civilians in the hotel were subjected to and witnessed murder, sexual violence and torture.The UN’s secretary general Ban Ki-moon, expressed alarm at UNMISS’ failures.The Kenyan government has rejected the findings of the inquiry.last_img